BUILDING HISTORY

The North Kenilworth Veterinary Care building has been carefully restored to its original 1940s-era appearance when it began serving as the medical clinic for Dr. W. Paul Sherrill, Arizona’s first pediatrician.

We are honored to be continuing its historical legacy of offering compassionate medical care and a tender touch.
The medical clinic was designed by Harold Ekman, a prominent architect in the Valley during the mid twentieth century, and was built by George W. Hoggart.

Construction of the 1,037 square foot masonry-brick structure cost $5,000. The original permit #3710 was dated June 4, 1940 and cost $9. It identified the location as Lot 20 and 22 of Block 8 North Kenilworth, outside of the fire limits of the city.

In May of 1953, a second construction permit was issued for a 240 square foot masonry addition to the doctor’s office. The fee of $6.50 for permit #2-6224 applied to the $2,300 building costs listing Ingram Construction company/Thomas W. Garrity as the contractor.

Dr. Sherrill graduated from Cornell University Medical School and completed his residency in pediatrics at the Mayo Clinic. He worked in his first practice in San Diego, California, where his older brother was the founding director of the Scripps Clinic at La Jolla. Unfortunately, Dr. Sherrill suffered from sinus problems, which were aggravated by the damp San Diego climate. He relocated to Phoenix in 1929, where the environment resolved his headaches and sinus infections.

As Arizona’s first board-certified pediatrician, Dr. Sherrill cared for thousands of young Phoenix residents as well as the children of the rich and influential winter visitors who flocked to Arizona, staying at places like the Biltmore, Camelback Inn and Jokake. He was famous for his advice, “Don’t worry, kids get over these things.”

The doctor was an active member of the Phoenix community, served two terms as an Arizona State Representative, and was known to many of the early leaders of the Grand Canyon state. He and his wife Ruth lived on Sherran Lane, where she raised, harvested, and sold premium dates throughout the nation. Descendants of Dr. Sherrill still live in the Valley.